Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Good Bye 2017 Annus Horribilis



Today is the last day of the year and I’m happy to see the end of it. It hasn’t been a good year really, personally and professionally. 

I had the dreaded “writer’s block” and haven’t written anything to date whereas last year, 2016, I published 3 books.  However, I’ve been mulling over some ideas. 

Growing old healthily is not easy, not when I hadn’t taken good care of my health when I was young. This lackadaisical attitude has finally caught up with a vengeance and I found myself falling over a few times but praise the Lord, it wasn’t too serious.

Towards the later part of this year, I had a fractured toe and more recently, I was in such severe pain that I had to be hospitalized. Any slight movement of my left leg caused excruciating pain and I couldn’t lie down flat. An MRI scan revealed a compressed disc in the lower back was the culprit.
Now I cannot walk long distances without sudden twinges that send an electric shock through my back. A walking stick helps me to balance and enables me to get up from a sitting position.

The good part in these two episodes was that I was blessed to have good and caring doctors who attended to me. May God bless them.

My eyesight has deteriorated too. They have become ultra sensitive to light, whether natural or artificial. Vision is no longer clear and I require eye lubricants every hour to ease the burning sensations in my eyes. It is very hard to read now or to work at the computer without tearing. This is a major blow as I love reading and writing.

A few days ago I received news that my younger sister had been hospitalized for a mild heart attack and she’s still undergoing tests for other related issues. Family and friends are rallying round with prayers for her swift recovery.

I now look forward to a much better year in 2018, God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment