Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Food I Love!



Kuala Lumpur is a great place for food! I would like to share some of the food I love to have whenever I'm here.


This is the Roasted Suckling Pig, a very scrumptious dish, with crackling skin and tender meat.

I like noodles better than rice. There are many types of noodles: glass noodles, fat yellow noodles, vermicelli, flat white noodles (kway teow), skinny noodles (wantan mee),flour noodles, fish paste noodles, egg noodles, etc.
They can be cooked in different styles, fried, braised, blanched. You can have them dry or in soup. I prefer them fried.

Then there is the belly pork braised in dark soya sauce (tau yu bak). Different cooks will come up with slightly different taste although the ingredients are the same. My sister, sister-in-law and my son-in-law cook the same dish but they all taste different and are equally delicious.

Herbal chicken soup is also very tasty especially when you add in a bit of tong kwei (angelica root). It's usual to use free range chicken (kampung chicken) to make soup.

Another hot favourite is the pork stomach and kidney soup. This one has a lot of pepper in it and I had some meehoon added in.
It is quite difficult to clean the stomach. You have to use a lot of limes and salt to clean the inside or it will have a strong odor. The pepper is to mask whatever odor there may be but usually the lime does the trick.

Another simple but tasty dish is the salted vegetable stirfried with roast pork (siew yoke)and garlic.
This recipe is from my grandmother.

More on my favourite dishes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment