Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Surprise but then again......




What a surprise when the ducktour leader in our amphibious

vehicle Darlene suggested that we might want to visit the

Barrage. She pointed it out to us as we were returning to land

after a short cruise on the Singapore River. I looked in the

direction she indicated and could see only what appeared to be

a huge pipestructure floating in the sea in the far distance.






She said that that area had been earmarked for processing sea water into fresh water! She added that Singapore's water agreement with Malaysia would end in a couple of years' time and as such Singapore had to look for alternative ways to get their own water.


Wow, I thought. Not too long ago Singapore had already come out with a first. Her scientists had recycled and processed waste water into drinking water. At first the reaction was kind of " Gosh, is it really potable? Is it really safe to drink?" I myself was given a bottle when I attended an outdoor event featuring artistes flying through the sky at night and the whole area was flooded with people who had gathered for the evening's musical entertainment by foreign artistes. I looked at the bottle in my hand and I looked at other people who had also been given these bottled water. Some were drinking and I thought "why not?" At worst, it would give me a tummy ache.


So I drank from the bottle as it was a hot and humid evening and I was perspiring a lot. Hmmmm.....it tasted just like any other water. No bad smell, no funny taste. So the scientists did do a good job in converting waste water into drinking water.


This being the case, it will not be a surprise if the sea water is really converted into fresh water to supply the needs of Singaporeans come the day they are not able to buy water from Malaysia or elsewhere. I knew I had to see this Barrage, where it was going to happen.


My son graciously drove us to the Marina Barrage in the evening when the sun would not be so hot. Since he himself had never been there, it took us sometime to find the way as all around that area was a huge development, the building of the integrated resorts and an enormous park by the bay. Lots of construction was going on and heavy vehicles were parked along the roadside. Besides, many foreign workers were cycling back to their quarters and Peter had to negotiate the narrow roads carefully. By the time we reached the Barrage area, large numbers of cars were already parked along the roadside and the small designated parking areas were full. I had no idea that there would be so many people here. But then it was a Sunday evening and Father's Day at that. Many families had come out to enjoy the evening.




We took a walk along the walkways jutting out into the sea.

Peeping over the edge of the long one, I noted that the sea on
one side where all the boats and ships were anchored, had waves
bobbing up and down as usual. However, on the other side, the
water scarcely moved. It was very flat and calm reflecting off the
sun's hot rays. Then my son said that there is a partition going all
the way down into the seabed. Oooh, I guess that must have been
the pipe-like structure which I had seen from afar while onboard
the Darlene.

We then walked back to the circular structure which looks
like a stadium but it isn't, and took the lift up to the top
and surprise!!


There is a large field with grass growing on the third floor!!!



Children were happily flying kites with their dads and other kids were running to and fro. Some women had hats on while others like me had an umbrella to shelter from the hot sun, even though it was already half past five in the evening. In fact it was so hot and the sun's rays did not allow me to take any photos. Wrong direction, you see. Such pity as it was very picturesque and the wind was blowing in from the sea. However, some people were still clicking their cameras. My son tried to take a few but then he had one hand sheltering the lens while he clicked with the other. In fact the sun was blazing hot and my eyes could not take the blinding light. In one picture I have my hand trying to shade my eyes. I wear transition glasses but they were not of any use under such strong light. My eyes are not what you would call normal as they have undergone surgery for glaucoma twice. They are ultra light-sensitive.


From the top we walked down the circular walkway to reach terra firma. Lots of ornamental plants have been planted and there are fountains as well. There is a small shop selling cold canned drinks and souvenirs. A restaurant is on the ground floor but I'm not sure if it is open. Maybe for dinner as there was a banner advertising seafood steamboat.



Even as we were leaving, more and more people were coming in. I guess to enjoy the sea breezes and to walk on the third floor where the green grass is.


I will no longer be surprised by what Singapore can do next. They have such capable people and incomparable expertise at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment