Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Another milestone gone by

Yesterday was my birthday. It started off as usual with hanging
out the laundry in the back garden. Then I got ready to go to the
test centre to administer the tests for that morning. Just then the
phone rang. It was my sister Janet calling from Melbourne to
wish me a happy day. She was also having a birthday party in her
home for her daughter-in-law Brooke whose birthday coincided
with mine. So I got to speak to Brooke and wished her a happy
birthday too. Then Marc her husband extended his wishes and
so did Carolyn, his sister. I could hear Trevor, my brother-in-law,
shouting " Happy Butter Day Peg!!" and the little ones chortling
in the background.

After a quick breakfast my spouse drove me to the test centre and after the tests were done, I walked across the road to the shopping complex to look for my sisters and my daughter Grace who had been tasked with looking after her aunts while I was busy. We met up for lunch, after which we browsed in the shops. They had bought blouses earlier on and commented that the pricing was reasonable. Although many shops were having sales with good discounts, we didn't find anything interesting enough to make purchases. Throughout the afternoon I received telephone calls from my son Peter and from my brothers wishing me a happy birthday as well as SMSes from Sunita and my friends. Lalitha sent her wishes via Facebook, as did my cousin Posy and my dear friend Evelyn from Switzerland.

Soon it was time to fetch the grandchildren home from school. We were caught in a very bad traffic jam and by the time we reached the school, it was already out and the children were waiting and wondering what had happened to their grandma who is usually waiting for them when school dismisses. I spotted them and grabbed their hands and we rushed down to the car which was still in queue along the road. We jumped in, made a U-turn and got back home a short while later.

By then Grace had organised the plates and brought out
the birthday cake. The presents were also laid out on the
table and the candles were lit. Everyone sang the birthday
song and I cut the cake. Sharon had bought a Black Forest
Cake and it was scrumptious.

My sister Ellie helped me to
cut the cake and Doris handed everyone a plate with a
generous slice, full of chocolate and cream. It was rather
sweet for me but since this was my birthday I threw caution
to the winds and tucked heartily into the cake. Diabetes, take
a bow and go backstage!!!



Then it was time to open the presents. Wow...... it was exciting
to tear open the wrappings and find out what was inside. Ellie
gave me a lovely silk bag with an angpow (red packet containing
a sum of money) because it is believed that one must not give
anempty bag. There should be a sum of money inside it. Her
children Sunita and Lalitha gave me an angpow too. Doris gave
me a chic blouse with a mandarin collar and a lovely pair of
earrings while myyoungest sister who was unable to come to
Kota Kinabalu gave me a knee guard. ( For the future, I guess....
although I hope that it will not come to that stage.)


My grandchildren Stephen and
Chloe gave me a dragonfly bookmark. They know I love to read.
My three children, Sharon, Grace and Peter combined and gave
me a set of bed linen complete with doona covers. Peter's girlfriend
Siew Min gave me a book. My dear old friend Yu Ling gave me a
lovely bouquet of roses. All in all I was very happy to feel so loved.



My sisters and Grace flying into Kota Kinabalu to share the day
with me was in itself the best birthday present. I loved having
them here. Their surprise appearance has made it one of the best
birthdays I've had.

In the evening we drove to the restaurant where Sharon had
booked a table and we were given a room all to ourselves so that
we could have complete privacy as we enjoyed dinner. We ordered
fish maw & crabmeat soup, crispy skin chicken, sweet and sour pork,
steamed sweet and sour fish and a local vegetable ( Sabah Choi )
sauteed with prawn paste ( belacan ). The vegetable stems were
ery tender and crunchy. Dessert was on the house and it was
coconut cream jelly which Stephen loved.
Dinner was very filling as the portions were large even though
we ordered medium-sized plates. It was really a wonderful day
for me and I shall cherish the happy moments for a lifetime.

Thank you my loved ones for the lovely day and I look forward to many more celebrations with my family and siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment