Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Alumni Reunions in Penang and Kuala Lumpur

One of the reasons for making a trip to Penang was to attend a mini reunion of my Brinsford Alumni.

Brinsford Lodge was the teacher training college set up by the Malayan Government in the late 1950s to train secondary school teachers who were then bonded to serve the Government for 5 years.  It was located near Wolverhampton in the UK. and was affiliated to the Institute of Education, University of Birmingham, U.K.

8 batches of students, 150 young men and women per batch, were sent to Brinsford to attend the 2-year teacher training course. Upon completion they returned to Malaya and were posted to secondary schools throughout the country. I’m from batch 6, 1961-62.


                                      Some of my housemates and I on a visit somewhere



                                          My housemate Debbie and I at a Deepavali function

I attended the mini reunion to meet up with alumni whom I didn’t know and had not met before.  They were very friendly and made me most welcome.  One of them from the 1st batch, fetched me from the hotel to the restaurant where they had ordered a delicious lunch.

                                                       Alumni mini reunion in Penang

It was amazing to meet fellow Brinsfordians who naturally fell into easy camaraderie although we were meeting up for the first time.

After my return from Penang we had another mini reunion of my housemates in Kuala Lumpur before my flight back to Sabah.  It was a very joyful one as some of us had not seen one another for many many years.

                                                Some of my "U" House mates & spouses


                                                           Agnes & I at her home
The Brinsfordians have mooted the idea that the next reunion will be in Kota Kinabalu so that they can visit the eastern part of the country which is across the South China Sea.  One of them has been tasked to organise the trip for the end of this year. Hopefully it will materialize.

                                           Mt Kinabalu is silhouetted as the sun rises


No comments:

Post a Comment